FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:04 pm
heyfife

Struggling with miles

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have kept up with the programmes for years and always found the airline that suited me best but recently I can't find a decent solution. I hope somebody else can recommend an airline that matches my esoteric requirements. I have a BA Amex at the moment but can change to another card for a better option. Thanks in advance!

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Priority service when flying the airline
Upgrades
Lounge access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
25-30k (x4 - wife and two kids. Business flights are usually Europe and not significant contributors but SFO is potentially a 1-2 flight option for me in the coming years)

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Economy, premium economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes. Yes.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often
LHR-ICN
LHR->LAX
LHR->ORD

(6) What is your home airport?
LHR, LGW

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
BA, BA Amex card.

The points are basically useless now that I have kids. I can't redeem anything because all the times I can travel for leisure are blacked out. BA is .... and I need something new. I've never made it out of blue because of their tier points. I flew business class exclusively for 3 years and because of timing and tier points never made it out of blue.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Korean Airlines is great. Rarely have a complaint.

Virgin Atlantic are great but don't fly where I need to go.

I love the brand of Norwegian Airlines. Budget but honest and fair.

Used to love BA but they are becoming rubbish. Trying to compete with budget airlines instead of being a premium brand.

Used to love AA, then they were awful but I think they are getting better.

I love the concept and online presence of Delta but whenever I fly them I get angry.

Used to love easyjet but they are forgetting that they are budget.

I fly two very long-haul flights a year with a family and don't expect special treatment but I do want to align with one airline that will recognise the higher than average flight distance that me and my family cover.