FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:56 am
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by percysmith
It's another financial system pest, just like HFT.

There's hope tho - Taiwan went really bad in 2011 (Global Payments was always to blame), but something happened and they went to full compliance again from 2013 onwards - nowadays DCC is offered but fully optional in Taiwan. I wondered what happened to them in between 2011 and 2013, and won't mind more of that happening elsewhere.
I don't know if I have been lucky throughout this time or what, but I never remember getting charged DCC in Taiwan even before I became aware of it in 2011. The only place I know where they refuse to honor DCC requests is for the room deposit at the airport Novotel in Taoyuan. However, I don't complain too much as this is merely a hold charge. I have always been able to settle the bill in TWD instead of USD. At department stores I've always been provided with a quote slip, and the [X] for NTD has always been honored. I always have my wife or in-laws tell the merchant I want to be billed in local currency.