FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for two weeks in Thailand - November 2014
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:53 am
MikeFromTokyo

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
One word of advice - with only 12 days I would stay in a maximum of 3 places as otherwise you will be packing, moving and unpacking all the time.
I agree, given 12 nights perhaps 3 nights BKK / 3 nights Anantara GT / 6+ nights in Phuket or Krabi.

Originally Posted by detroit1010
As for timing up north, considering we only have ~12 days in total, I don't know that I want to spend >4 days in the north. I am not very well versed on what there is to do in Chiang Mai - would we really be missing out if we didn't stop there in favor of more time on the coast?
Given the amount of time you have, I would advise picking either Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai. My choice would be Chiang Rai (Either FS or Anantara GT). My first choice would be FS GT with a confirmed upgrade to a Deluxe tent, but otherwise you will be happy with a suite at Anantara. You will need at least three nights (two full days at the resort) to enjoy the experience, four nights would be better. In addition to a full day of Mahout training, you will want to do some of the excursions to Doi Tung, or to Laos and/or Myanmar.

Originally Posted by detroit1010
I think we'll definitely stay in Krabi - whether or not we pick one resort or split time between the two I'm not sure. I'm also still not sold on Phuket versus some of the other spots (Ko Phi Phi, Kho Lak, Yao Noi). I'd love to hear some thoughts/opinions on these other locations. We'd love a mix of beach lounging and outdoors activities.

Additionally, while I understand the Phuket resorts are top notch, I must say I'm a little surprised by the price. We were considering Australia but all the posts regarding Australia said you can get the same sort of 5 star hotel in SE Asia for a much lower cost. However, these hotels are priced just the same as those in Australia.
I love Rayavadee, but the best time to go is slightly off season, when the weather is still very nice but there are fewer people on Phranang beach (which, like all beaches in Krabi, is open to the public). Nevertheless, November is not quite peak season, so it would still be a good choice as long as you understand the beach will get crowded during the day.

Phulay Bay would be a great choice, but it does not have a proper beach at the resort. Guests usually take excursions to other beaches.

Amanpuri and Trisara would be the best choices overall, but as you have mentioned they will be slightly more expensive.

Your thought of combining Rayavadee and Phulay Bay is a very good idea, IMO. 4/5 nights at Rayavadee in a spa/hydro pool/terrace pavilion, along with 2/3 nights at Phulay Bay in a Reserve villa or higher category would be very nice.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 19, 2014 at 11:02 am