FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyZ46

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by ordbkk
Speaking of leaked personal information... the new flights that United booked for us still have the original PNR. Granted if my original flight was canceled because somebody wanted our seats on Air China, my reservation won't interest them... but I find it a little odd that United would respond to my claims of a fraudulent cancellation with another reservation protected by the very same information that was leaked in the first place.
Your original reservation was canceled but miles were not redeposited so that any rebooked reservations would be put under the original PNR by default.

I don't think United has realized or believed that your information had been leaked, so they didn't take extra precautionary measures to protect your reservation. United could simply fix the loophole by requiring logging in with MileagePlus PIN/password before canceling any award booking online. They should also verify account details over the phone before making a cancellation.

I know two other victims who were also rebooked under the original PNR. I guess your new reservation would be find as long as it does not contain premium seats on CA international flights, but always be cautious.