FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:37 pm
nabilm92

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP75K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, Amex Plat

Hi All,

New member looking for advice on which mileage plan(s) to sign up for. I'm starting work at a major consulting firm in July and have been told I will be close to 100% travel. I've been using Delta SkyMiles for the past several years for personal travel and have accumulated ~80,000 SkyMiles already. That said, I'm not opposed to switching to a different airline's mileage plan if that is the sensible thing to do. Below are the answers to the questionnaire:

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades(!), priority services, good award redemption rates, free lounge access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Will be flying >100,000 miles per year, usually in business, and roughly 2 segments per week (at least 100 total per year).

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Mostly business, some premium economy, and some economy (in that order).

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I can choose airline and business class as long as the flight is over a certain duration (couple hours, I believe). I travel mostly for work but also for pleasure (<25,000 miles for pleasure).

(5) Which routes do you fly most often
US Domestic, Transatlantic, and Transpacific (in that order).

(6) What is your home airport?
Seattle - SEA

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
No current status, but have ~80,000 miles banked in Delta SkyMiles.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Not too picky. Have enjoyed flying Alaska in the past and they are based in SEA, but other than that am pretty flexible. Would prefer to stay away from United (have had bad experiences in the past).