FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:16 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Have a few questions:

1. Any idea what the average low season rate for the Tambo is? I just watched the rate for the days in June I wanted jump from $240 to $310 ... (yes I realise June isn't the low season anymore, just wanted to know if I should reconsider this trip/stay...)

2. Has anyone taken the Vistadome train from Cuzco to Agua Calientes? Would you say it was worth it for the view and experience? Or would it be pretty much the same thing as the train from Ollanta to AC?

The way I have it planned, I'd have to travel back to Cuzco/Poroy from TdI, to catch the morning train to AC/MP, just for the experience. Not sure if it's worth it. Have planned it that way because I've had altitude sickness before, so I'm leaving Cuzco till the end. But I don't want MP to be the last few days of the trip.
1. Don't know, but at either price your quote the hotel is worth it. If you have the points and the hotel has availability for the cash plus points option, you might consider that instead.
2. Took the regular train from Oly to AC and then Vistadome back from AC to TdI. If I'm understanding your question correctly, it's definitely NOT worth backtracking from TdI to Cuzco just to take the Vistadome. Overall, it's slightly nicer than the regular train, but not to the point where you should adjust your schedule that way. You'll have nice views from either train.

Not sure that I understand your comment that I've bolded. If you leave Cuzco to the end, the last few days won't be at MP. They are two separate destinations, about a five or six hour (????) train ride apart. You're much better taking the train from TdI to AC.

Also, if you have any issue with altitude sickness, you're definitely smart to put off Cuzco (the highest place you'll stay in that part of the country) to the end. You'll have a better chance of adjusting to the altitude by that point. Not sure what your overall schedule is, but I'd recommend at least a few days at TdI and/or elsewhere in the Sacred Valley to help you acclimatize to the high altitudes. Then your time at MP will actually be lower than at TDI. Then end at Cuzco.

I agree with BigEd that more time in AC/MP is definitely worth it if it at all fits your schedule and budget. We actually did just one night, but took a very early train from Oly so that we had almost a whole day at Oly, than a mid/late afternoon train back to TdI. Our schedule was facilitated by spending a night at the very expensive Sanctuary Lodge (though we got a somewhat better bed and breakfast rate by periodically checking for it and then finally finding it online), which is right outside the MP gates so made coming and going easier. Regardless, MP is worth taking your time in if you can spare it.