FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice for two weeks in Thailand - November 2014
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:49 am
MikeFromTokyo

Originally Posted by detroit1010
Hello all. I've been reading these boards for a while now trying to plan a two week trip (honeymoon) to Thailand in November. I have a general idea of what I want to do but would now like some advice from the community.

I am planning a trip in three parts:
- North - Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai
- Bangkok
- Andaman Cost

I'd love to go to Koh Samui as I've heard great things but it seems that November is not the best time to fly there. With the above parts in mind, I'm having a hard time planning where to stay for each part.

For the north:
Given that we'll probably do a total of 4 days in the north, I feel like we need to pick either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to stay in and maybe day trip to the other spot. I'd love to stay at the Four Seasons Golden Triangle as the reviews are generally very positive. However, the price is prohibitive. I recall one person saying they emailed with the hotel for a discount, but I'm not sure I can rely on that. Another option is the Anantara, which seems similar although obviously won't compare to the FS. The other option would be to skip Chiang Rai and just stay in Chiang Mai - either at the FS, Anantara, or Mandarin.

Bangkok:
Planning 2-3 nights here; not too concerned with picking a hotel as there are many good options.

Andaman/Beach:
This is where I'm really struggling. There are so many great options! I think we want to go to Krabi given the very positive reviews. Having a hard time picking between the Ritz Phulay Bay and Rayavadee. It seems that the location at Rayavadee is better but the beach gets packed with tourists and the hotel is showing it's age. I suppose we could do 3 nights and one and 2 at the other. As for a second beach spot, from my research I think the following are options:

Phuket - Trisara, Aleenta, Naka Island - reviews of Phuket in general seem as though its very touristy and crowded which doesn't appeal to us
Ko Phi Phi - Zeovola - great location, understanding this is not a top resort
Khao Lak - Sarojin, Le Meridian
Yao Noi - Six Senses - the hotel and location look amazing but it seems the reviews are tepid

Any guidance that you can provide would be much appreciated. Also, it seems as thought we'd be stupid to not book with a Vitusos agent so at some point I'd like some information/recommendations on finding one!

Thank you again!
J

Anantara Golden Triangle is a very nice property. I have stayed there in a nice suite (More of a large junior suite, typical of the Anantara brand), which had good views and was comfortable. The food was very good, and the same mahout training activities (Elephant riding) as at the Four Seasons are available on an a la carte or package basis. So, I would highly recommend this property if you feel FS is too expensive. I will caution you, however, that the price difference may not be as large as one would think, as F&B and activities are expensive. FS tented camp is an all inclusive property, so if you choose to stay you will have few incidental charges.

Another thing to keep in mind is that FS GT sometimes has an offer that includes two complimentary nights at its sister FS properties. If you got this offer and used the two free nights at FS Koh Samui (or FS Chiang Mai) this could offset some of the cost. Wherever you choose to stay in Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai, I think you need at least four nights there (I plan to stay for five on my next stay).

Definitely stay on the river in Bangkok. Your choices there are Mandarin Oriental, The Peninsula, and The Siam. Although unfortunately it is no longer quite what it was, my favorite is still a Grand Deluxe Suite at the Peninsula. The Mandarin Oriental would be a great choice, especially in a state room or Author's suite in the River Wing.

Other unique options in central Bangkok are the Cabanas at the Four Seasons, and the Spa Cottages at the Grand Hyatt Erawan. I also like the Executive and Deluxe Suites at the Four Seasons very much.

I am a fan of Rayavadee, and would choose it for its location alone. Phulay Bay has better service, however, and the accommodation in the Reserve villas and Royal beach Villas is very nice. Splitting the stay would be ideal, but only if you have time for 4/5 nights minimum at Rayavadee and at least two or three nights at Phulay Bay.

In Phuket, I would choose Amanpuri, but Trisara would be an excellent choice as well.

I think you only have time for one or two resorts in Phuket and/or Krabi. If you did both Krabi and Phuket (for example) you could transfer by speedboat.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 18, 2014 at 1:17 pm