FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which card(s) to use for high spend or large purchases? [Consolidated]
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:08 pm
flyer4512

Originally Posted by 747FC
I received a 25% discount when I offered cash for diamond earrings for my wife. Of course, it has to be a reasonable offer made to a responsible person at the right store. On this occasion, I merely said "I can pay X in cash right now if you would accept it for those earrings."
Bingo ! I'm talking about NYC here, do people really think they even claim a cash sale for income tax purposes ? It''s not just the 3% card fee, it's MUCH more. We got 20% off the credit card price.

People don't realize pawned Diamonds are bought at 10-15 cents on the dollar and polished and resold as new. Plenty of room for a 100% profit while "giving the customer a 50% discount", lol

Originally Posted by hoosierg35
First off, THANKS to everyone for the congratulations and the advice. I already have the diamond/ring picked out and have made a down payment, so I don't really have the option of going elsewhere / buying off blue nile. I did email the jeweler today and asked about a cash discount. If their merchant fees are ~3%, that's $450, which I might want to take instead of miles and points.
Unless it's custom made ring your down payment should be fully refundable. Sounds like you are buying from a Jewelry chain store.

Originally Posted by hoosierg35
How would I be able to sign up for 2 cards? Do you just mean one in my name, and one in hers? (She doesn't know I've bought it yet!)

Also, is it fairly easy to have the miles posted and cancel the card before the annual fee is posted? I've never tried this before. Thanks!

I have never tried it but it seems far from easy. The card can be churned so you can get 2 cards but if it's like other Citi cards you have to wait ~9 days between apps so you would have to get one card and pay $10K then apply for a 2nd card and pay $5K and then spend $5k more within days to have time to avoid the AF.

Seems like an easy way to end up with $900 in Annual fees IMO which you will have to pay and at best get refunded.

Getting around the $450 annual fee: Some have been able to meet the spending requirement before the first statement posts and then cancel and have the fee refunded after the miles post. Details and datapoints include starting at post 74. T&C state that the card must be cancelled within 30 days of the fee posting to get it refunded. Potential problems with this plans include a very short (1 week or less) first "month" as well as delays in miles posting which have been reported by several FTers here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html. If paying $250-$450 for a year's access to Admirals Clubs and the 60K-100K miles is a deal breaker, this card may not be for you.

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 17, 2014 at 5:19 pm