FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taking leftovers home from fancy restaurants
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:42 pm
darthbimmer

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Really? I want to restate this just to ensure I'm reading correctly: The etiquette speaker said that you SHOULD ask for a doggy bag if you have leftovers at a business meal or the person you're dining with would think you're rude? I'd love to know the name of this etiquette expert. My guess is that he/she has never had a business dinner.
I boggle at that advice. While taking home leftovers from a dinner with family or friends is commonplace in the US, doing so at a business dinner is fairly taboo.

The difference may seem arbitrary at first glance but consider it for just a moment.... When dining out with friends or family you are normally spending your own money. Taking home the leftovers says, "I don't waste my money." Maybe you knew you ordered more than you could eat. But it's your money. When dining out in a business environment you are typically spending someone else's money-- your employer's, your client's, your customer's, etc. Taking home leftovers there generally says, "I am greedy and I am trying to get from you everything I can." It's especially true if you over ordered. That really smacks of taking advantage of the person paying.