FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taking leftovers home from fancy restaurants
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:47 am
KevinDTW

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by CMK10
The law school did an etiquette dinner last night and one of the points made by the speaker was it was considered rude to go on a business dinner and NOT ask for food you didn't eat to take home.
That is interesting. When I was in law school in the 1980's we were advised that meals with prospective employers (and later with clients) were to be navigated carefully. Your objective was not to order whatever you wanted and truly enjoy the meal, but rather to avoid any pitfalls that might embarrass you or make you stand out in a negative way. Don't over-order or order anything potentially messy or smelly, never order alcohol unless absolutely necessary (and then keep to a one drink max), don't order an app or dessert unless everyone else does, etc.

I would never leave a business meal carrying a doggie bag or container of leftovers, but maybe times have changed. In my personal life I do it all the time, but never with a client or prospective client (or employer, if that's the situation).

Perhaps slightly OT, but here's a related story you might find amusing/instructive. Years ago I was working at a major NYC firm and a few of us took a group of summer associates out to a well-known restaurant. One summer guy announced that he was currently in the "induction phase" of the Atkins diet and proceeded to order nothing but chicken with the skin on, which he ate with his hands. Anything really wrong with that? No, but you can be sure that he stood out, and not in a good way. From what I understand it's tough enough being a law student/baby lawyer these days, so you definitely want to avoid attracting that kind of attention.