FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pick up: NYC / Drop-off: YUL - Need some tips
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:00 am
Jamtex

Programs: Hertz Gold PC,Virgin Atlantic Silver,SAS Eurobonus Silver
I had a similar issue as I had to take a car from Toronto (Scarborough) and return it to Chicago (Wrigleyville). I was quote about 550 dollars for basically a one day rental. In the end I used my reward points for a one way rental (all 1600 of them) and ended up paying just $40 for the CDW and taxes.

It probably helped that I was a regular renter, renting for a week every two to three weeks. The locataion was meant to have gotten a US car so it would had been easier for the car to return to it's Michigan location but it didn't show up, after some pleading (as the office closed in 2 hours and I had packing to do as I was going to be driving for 11 hours) they gave me my normal car (which was a Toyota Matrix) and off I went.

Had issues with returning the car as although the location was on the rental agreement they had no clue on how to process the non U.S. paperwork. In the end I had to get the manager to sign my agreement stating the car was returned to the location and take photos of the agreement and keys in the office and the car in the car park.

Took them 6 months before I got charged the $40 too.

I hired a car to go from Chicago to Toronto last year (I'm a UK Citizen) and it had misourri plates but as long as you have all the hire documentation, insurance certificate (should be in the glove box), passport and driving licence they shouldn't hold you up. 3 minutes and I was through.

As stated buy a Sat Nav, in the long run (ie a few rentals) it is going to be cheaper and easier to use. Although make sure the cigarette lighter jack works before you leave, I rented a car once and it didn't work. Ironically the car I was given had neverlost in it and it had a USB port and used that to power my MP3 player and Sat Nav...

The nearest Hertz on the US side is about 5 miles from Rainbow Bridge and the nearest Hertz on the Canada side is 13 miles from Rainbow Bridge. Taking random dates you could save maybe $20 to $80 then just doing the one way rental (assuming you get taxis to and from the bridge) basically it's not worth the hassle.

Last edited by Jamtex; Apr 17, 2014 at 4:17 am