FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Congressional Action to Change How Airfares are Advertised.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:45 pm
USHPNWDLUA

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by saaws
so you don't mind going to Chevron with Techron with the sign showing Supreme 93 for $3.49 but when you tap the button it shows tax-included actual price for $3.99? But if you went to Shell next door that says Supreme 93 for $3.59 but since it doesn't have 'Techron' for cleaning the engine they charge less tax and the actual price you pay would've been $3.89 per gallon.
No, this isn't what I'm suggesting I want nor is it what I think the bill allows. I think you and others are suggesting that this bill would allow airlines to deceptively display a very low airfare by placing into another category all the other tacked-on fees, including both government- and airline-imposed fees.

But, this isn't what the bill would allow. The bill specifically states that the base airfare is defined as everything except government-imposed taxes and fees. Given this language, how could this be an issue? For me, this is all about transparency. Under this bill, consumers can actually see the portion of the ticket cost that is imposed by the government. Today, the airlines cannot display this in advertising, on ticketing websites, etc. I find the current system deceptive because the government has used the current system to hide all the fees they tack on.