FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airlines lobbying to not list “All in” ticket prices
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:57 pm
pbarnette
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
I don't think this is an issue for most FTers. For the lowest common denominators of US society though...

...I can see Joe Schmoe taking the first flight of his life somehow not noticing that the $29 sale fare he purchased to take the kids to Disneyland ended up pricing to $400/person when he clicked "Purchase", then not noticing it on the credit card bill that he carries $10k of rolling debt on, then being unable to check into their hotel upon arrival because the card is now maxed out, then having their once-in-a-lifetime vacation ruined because of Big Bad Evil Airways, then getting a pity party thrown for him in the next edition of USA Today and the local evening news.

If you live in the US, you can't tell me you haven't shaken your head at some news story similar to that before...
I think that most people are smarter than you give them credit for. With airfares, in particular, most folks have a disproportional obsession with them and I'm always a bit amazed at the lengths folks will go through to save a few dollars. Will some people be surprised? A few, I guess, but I don't think it is a massive issue.

Personally, I don't find the problem much worse than other attempts by airlines to obfuscate prices. For example, WN doesn't make their prices readily available on any comparison shopping sites. I don't believe that benefits consumers, but most consumers adapt anyway.