FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Someone used my email to subscribe to mailing lists
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:35 pm
chgoeditor
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by paytonc
If there's an help form, I use it and berate the company for not requiring email verification. If there's a "lost password" link, I use it, and change both the password and email address to gobbedlygook (hey, they're not verifying email addresses, right?).
I usually change it to, "[email protected]"...if they're going to spam me, they can spam themselves instead.

I do admit, I got an email from an unnamed airline that I've never flown telling me that my miles were going to expire but I could use them for magazine subscriptions. Clicked on the "I forgot my password" link. Got the password. Ordered myself some magazines. If you're too much of an idiot to know your own email address, well, then you're undeserving of your miles.

The one that's pissing me off of late: Apparently there's some law requiring sites geared toward young kids to collect the parent's email address when a child registers. And I'll get emails--from major companies, like Disney--saying, "Your kid Honey Boo-Boo registered for an account and listed you as their responsible parent." Except I don't have a kid named Honey Boo-Boo. And it's almost impossible to go online and say, "No, I didn't authorize this account. Please delete it."