FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Congressional Action to Change How Airfares are Advertised.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 pm
HMPS

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Nothing has changed. A bill has been proposed to Congress that would allow airlines to return to their old deceptive ways of advertising the fare rather than the cost. In today's Congress, the distance between a bill and a law is vast and rarely surmounted.
Take a stab at it....the lobbysts with mostest $$$ win, remember corporations are people !

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
When i go buy a soda at 7-11, they tell me what they advertise the portion that they will keeping. They charge me that cost but also collect the sales tax of 7% to be sent to the state of New Jersey. It is not deceptive of them to tell me that a 20 oz bottle of soda is 1.79 and then want to collect from me 1.92. They are only charging me $1.79 . The .13 is the amount the state of NJ is charging me. Anything 7-11 is keeping should be in the advertised price any tax they are collecting need not be.
Wait , get more frosted ! Looking at big screen TVs, saw a Sony with a $ 6000 mfg. discount. Sign clearly said you still pay sales tax ( 8 %) on that $ 600 too !

Originally Posted by 1kprem
So what's the view/reaction out there of this bill currently in Congress that would once again allow airlines to advertise just the base fare and quote the taxes and fees later?

See more at
http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-...ouse-bill/4156
" Lobbysts with the mostest...."

Originally Posted by dvs7310
It's truly beyond me how this could even remotely be construed as being "Transparent" as the act's title would lead one to believe. It does say "Government taxes and fees" though and makes no mention in the summary of "Carrier imposed fees (surcharges)" so perhaps the fuel scam would at least be required to be included in the "Base fare" advertised price. Better yet, anyone have a congressman's ear? Would love to see a Brazil style ammendment, no fuel surcharges allowed. Price your fares appropriately to start with, there's absolutely no need in a 2 part system (base + YQ)
These Congress members need to look at what the StatesAGs do to auto Dealers advertising, controlled to the nth degree.