Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
09/09/14 BA173 LHR-JFK B 747-400

Club World

Scheduled Departure: 1120 (BST)
Actual Departure: 1200 (CET)
Wheels Up: 1220 (CET)
Wheels Down: 1456 (EST)
On Stand: 1533 (EST)

The flight departed from Gate B32, we were straight to the front of the priority boarding and on the aircraft in minutes, very seamless.

Our Bird

The crew on the Upper Deck were very welcoming, all the seats taken, but you would not have known – I can see why many people see this as the way to do Long Haul, and when I have been up here before (for business) it is the place for me. It will be a shame when the 747s are retired as I regard this is a unique experience.

We were offered a pre take off drink and took the Taittinger Brut Reserve and a member of the cabin crew took our photo with my camera which was great. The Captain then came over the PA and informed us that there would be delay on departure as the aircraft required a new starboard side wheel.

The delay didn’t really matter as both myself and Mrs Our_Kid were settled into 64J/K and enjoying the experience.

Following take off meal orders were taken and unfortunately both my choices had been taken, I wasn’t too fussed about it though. In the end my main choice (Chicken Caesar Salad) was brought upstairs from the other cabin, so I just took another plain salad to start.

The plain salad was very drab.

Chicken Caesar (and anchovies) delicious!

I took a piece of fruit and coffee for dessert.

Well we are now South of Greenland and I am going to relax for a bit before the afternoon tea service. Very much enjoying the CW Upper Deck experience today!

Continuing the report from my hotel room in Monterey!

I read and used my laptop for most of the flight and I stayed awake for the whole run into JFK. The afternoon tea was excellent and I found it very refreshing and set me up for our approach to JFK, there were also some great views of Manhattan flying in.

Unfortunately, it was 35 minutes from touchdown to get on stand, this was due to a tug taking the aircraft to its stand and it could not position the 747 and it took about three attempts. Chaos ensued on the Upper Deck with passengers out of their seats whilst the aircraft was still moving. I was getting very anxious about our connection.