FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:47 am
gleff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by sbm12
There was at least one meeting, held in November 2010, missing from the timeline. I was at that meeting and, among other things, a new domain name was registered as part of the brainstorming process for possibly building a new site/community. Ultimately that domain name was not used and the discussions shifted after that point, but I know that both gleff and I were in the room when it happened.

Perhaps we have different views of the purpose of that meeting or the actions taken during and after it.
Tommy and Ed came down to my office for a meeting that I expected to be about the hair-brained idea of acquiring Flyertalk. Seth came to the meeting too (I don't know how that came about), and so the idea was off the table for discussion.

We talked mostly about the future of the Frequent Traveler Awards, about doing a first Frequent Traveler University I think as well. I don't remember how it came about, but I sat there while Seth registered "milestalk.com" himself. (I didn't try to shut down any such conversations as I tend to keep my own counsel, other than pointing out that it could equally be read as "Mile Stalk" which isn't very good.)

At that time all I was interested in was picking up the pieces from Randy's announcement at the moderator meeting in Seattle the week before that he would no longer have a day to day role at Flyertalk. I had spent much of the aftermath of that meeting talking moderators down off of resigning on the spot, suggesting that they at least have a cooling off period. I was doing my best for Flyertalk, while for a few weeks pursuing the dream of bringing back what (in my emotional view at the time) it had been to me.

I got a firm no on that The holidays came around, end of year at work, and so to be clear it was as 2011 began that I became a part of any meaningful discussions about any other site.