FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DownUnder2014: OZ F Suites, OZ J, TG F (A380 + 747), NZ Y, EK F, VA Y, CA J, and NH F
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:42 pm
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
OZ 108: ICN – NRT A321

Well that was a fun couple hours in the lounge. Now let’s finally get on that plane to NRT and conclude what I think is the longest travel day of my life (and possibly yours too). Asiana often uses 747s, A330s, and 777s on this route in-between long-haul turns but sadly this flight is just an A321. I have a feeling this won’t quite live up to the epic experience that we just had on the flight in from New York but hopefully it’s better than you typical US domestic First Class flight.

Hmmm we better bring our expectations wayyy down, it looks like we’ll be taking a bus out to the plane. Well at least we get to board the bus first? How far away did they park this plane? Even worse we didn’t even get any cool tarmac views and we’re stuck in the very back of the bus – oh well we’ll just be the last to board the plane.

Okay first impressions of the seat aren’t great. Feel free to disagree but this reminds me of a US domestic flight in First Class – or perhaps the business class recliner on American’s 762s. I mean granted the AVOD screen seems to be a little bigger (though that could be the alcohol / exhaustion from the last 14+ hours talking) and the seat has a few more buttons but I think that’s an accurate comparison:

Oh and someone wants to switch seats with us so they can sit together. Not a big deal of course but this already has US domestic first flight written all over it. What’s this? Wait a second maybe I’ve been a little too harsh. Look at this menu they just gave us for food. This actually looks pretty good.

First the Western options:
Western

Appetizer
Mozzarella Cheese with Mixed Greens
Main Course
Grilled Sea Bream Fillet
Dessert
Sweet Potato Mousse

And now for the Korean option:

Nutritious Korean Cuisine, Ssambap

As for wines we have a choice of the following: Champagne Cattier Brut, Albert Bichot Macon-Villages Blanc Chardonnay 2011, or Arboleda Cabernet Sauvignon 2010.

Well, I don’t want to ruin that bibimbap we had on OZ 221 so I’m going to play it safe and go for the Western options and how about that Chardonnay to go with the fish.

Nope. That was not good at all, at least what they served me. My fish was mushy and the cream sauce was pretty bad. Plus I still can’t figure out how that dessert qualified as “Sweet Potato Mousse.” I know like me you don’t really like domestic first class food but I feel comfortable saying we’ve had better meals on American Airlines flights of similar length (2.5 hours).

No matter at least it helped us pass some time. I'm going to take a nap until we land in Tokyo. I'll see you when we land!

Last edited by Duke787; Apr 15, 2014 at 2:15 pm