FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another IB J TP Run.. LHR-ORY-JFK-SFO-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-ORY-LHR (All J AA, BA, EC)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:21 am
courtster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
The day came of the jaunt to LAS and back. So pleased we weren't going to be driving back! That morning we'd visited the Redondo Beach Galleria shops and surrounding stores. We parked outside the TJ Maxx and went for a wander. After an hour or 2 and a smashing burrito we got back to TJ Maxx and the car was nowhere to be seen!

I was frantic, not so much about the car but that we would miss the flight. We called the police dispatch who sent a car. After about 15 minutes, my wife mentioned that it was a shame the car was gone due to the things we'd just bought from a particular store that were in there. Then it hit me that we'd moved it to the next store along. I cancelled the Police and sheepishly drove back to the hotel. Dropped our shopping off and drove directly to LAX where we stopped for an hour to do some shooting at the LAX Firing Range.

This was such fun! We started out quite sheepish having never even held a gun, not even a BB pistol in my youth. Everyone there was very friendly and we're made to feel at ease and very welcome. After the first magazine worth of rounds we were well into it, and it didn't cost much at all. I recommend it to all Brits.

As we were going through airport security shortly the range master said to keep the receipt as there maybe a chance of residue pickup by a machine, especially for international flights. We hotfooted it to T4 short term parking to find a problem, no parking anywhere and queues were backed up inside the lot due to people stopping and waiting for someone to come out of their space. After 15 mins I was just going to dump it on some cross hatchings only to find a wonderful soul who just appeared from the elevator going to his car and asked if we wanted the space. By this time we were in the TBIT part of the car park, so we had quite a run. We just made it, even bagged a Sam Adams in the Admirals Club.

When selecting a seat on the AA952 LAX-LAS in Y I could pick any seat as OW Sapphire including all the MCE seats. For a 45 min flight though I was mostly interested in rows 16/17 - when AA introduced MCE to the 738s they had 154 seats. By blocking off rows 16/17 middle seats with a table they were allowed by the FAA to reduce the FA count to 3. Almost a Club Europe seat!

We disembarked swiftly and grabbed coffee at the Starbucks where the crew were also having a break before the return flight. For the LAS-LAX segment we were back in 3A/C. Another uneventful flight, although loved the way the aircraft snaked through the mountains towards LA. Got the car, $15 for the 3 or so hours - of course loads of spaces in the parking lot now! Another 60 points in the bag and went back to the suite to pack for the flight home. Tried checking in online for the flight home. No dice.

Next morning got to LAX and stuck $50 of fuel in the Challenger for the 225 miles we'd done. Not bad I thought. Dropped it off at National and got the shuttle to T4. Checked in and asked the desk agent to see if she could check our bags through to LHR via ORY. She managed it but said she couldn't give me the boarding passes for the JFK-ORY leg - the second clue that something may be up.

Morning flight meant only 1 thing in the Admirals Club, Mimosas!

I checked before we boarded and the outbound ORY-JFK had departed for JFK. F-GPEK was the tail, so it looked like we were going to have the pleasure of the ex-BA 752 with its lovely RB211s.

Again in 6A/C on this A321T, a wonderful aircraft to be on. We would obviously had taken an F seat each if offered, but we didn't feel like we were missing out. If I was a lone traveller I would have loved F - the privacy is excellent.

We were fed and watered throughout the flight - amazing ice cream sundae!

The flight was very swift, around 4.5 hours. First time I had seen the Freedom Tower completed. Quite a sight.

Touched down at 18:42, unfortunately the taxiway we were about to use was blocked, but we had gone too far down it apparently so we had to wait for a tug. This took a long time. By the time we had disembarked it was 19:30. We went swiftly to T7 and tried to check in for the BA8006. The Club World desks were very slow, I estimate now I have had time to think that it was around 20:15. We were last in the queue and then IDBd. At the time I couldn’t understand it and it wasn't explained to us. The desk agent just sent us to reticketing. This was annoying as there were 2 agents, but both busy. It was another 20+ mins before we were seen.

While in the queue I tried to call a BA number that was open, but without success. I had already gathered the information of all flights leaving T7 in the next 24 hours just in case something like this had happened. If I'm honest after 8 aircraft I just wanted to go home straight to LHR, so I asked to be put on the next flight with space in J. Nothing available in J on the BA4, BA172, and BA182. I cheekily said we'd go on the BA180 in the morning if they could put us in First. No joy on that one!

They reticketed us onto the 182 but in World Traveller Plus and asked us to check-in again. Now the agent had to find our luggage to retag it onto the 182 - it took about 15 mins, but she managed it amazingly. I explained to both agents we had seen that I would like to be put back into CW if room was available. It looked like a note was written into the computer, but not sure.

We finally got to the Galleries club lounge. We were tired, hungry and were really looking forward to our pre-flight dining available in BizBed on the BA8006. Of course, now ticketed in WTP we got nothing. No leeway, just a straight no. I know it's policy, but it didn't make me any less hungry.

If I was to survive a long haul flight in WTP, it was time to dose up. Had a shower and was very pleased to see Brooklyn Lager in the fridges. Availed myself of quite a few and then went down to the gate.

Gave passports and boarding passes at the gate only to be given the magic BEEP. I was beside myself with happiness. 14E/F for us. I let out a little yelp of joy - I think I may have even half punched the air! Got to turn left again into the mini CW forward cabin. No one to step over either. Magic

Of course, I was still hungry and now on a sleeper service - I explained this to the purser who brought me some preflight bubbly. They brought the CSD over to me. She said she'll sort something out for us. We took off and was reminded how much I love the 744. What an awesome aircraft - this was my third time on Lima Papa. I made my own Ghetto IFE, as just wanted to finish watching something. The official Apple case magnets kept the iPad held beautifully.

The CSD came round again and said she can serve us a meal from F. I opted for the steak. It was smashing.

Time for bed and before I knew it I was being awoken just over Bristol by the CC. We were early, therefore another aircraft had not left our allocated stand so we bussed it to T5A. Disembarked by steps from 2L and CW had a bus to ourselves.

Luggage came out first at T5 - again! My brother in law was waiting with my car, and he took us home so didn’t go into the arrivals lounge. Once home I wrote to BA to ask what happened, and that we would like the 40 TPs for our ORY-LHR leg to be awarded to push us into Gold. At this point, I still haven’t received the JFK-LHR/ORY TPs, or the ORY-LHR. Fingers crossed!

We had an awesome time in California, the people were so friendly and made us feel so welcome. We can't wait to go back!

I hope you enjoyed reading this TR, I’m sorry I didn’t get as many pictures of things you’d probably want to see, but feel free to comment and ask me any questions.

Last edited by courtster; Apr 17, 2014 at 8:31 am