FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another IB J TP Run.. LHR-ORY-JFK-SFO-LAX-LAS-LAX-JFK-ORY-LHR (All J AA, BA, EC)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:59 am
courtster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
We got the Airtrain to Jamaica and then the LIRR to Penn Station. The rain was awful, real New York rain - broken umbrellas rolled down the streets like tumbleweed.

Heads down and no umbrella we walked the 8 blocks to the AMC Empire 25 and caught the 23:00 showing of the latest Muppets movie. Both of us fell asleep at least a couple of times during the film! It was about 01:00 when we came out. I can only recall tiny parts of the film. At least our jackets had dried. The rain had eased by then, so we went and got a drink then waited for the LIRR back at 02:39 - Penn station was quite 'alive' at that time to say the least. Boarded the Airtrain to T8 and received some boarding passes from the AA self service machines. Having never been in an airport at 03:30 I was surprised to see the amount of people who had bedded down in corners throughout the check-in area.

Security was fast of course. Once through we were confronted with a completely empty departures. Not one shop was open, not even the Hudson News outlets.

We walked the terminal to see where Gate 1 was and then headed for the Admirals Lounge that opens at 04:30

We both received some chits at reception and headed in. I went straight for a shower, felt sooo much better!

My wife ordered some oatmeal, something just feels odd paying for things in a lounge. No matter though, it tasted good. I had a couple of pastries and a gallon of coffee.

We went down for boarding around 07:30, it was fast and efficient in the priority lane. Got to our seats 6A/C, the first row of Business on this A321T, and was very impressed. We were relishing the the proposition of 6 hours lying down and getting our sleep on!

A loud native New York couple were behind us. I had first noticed them in the Admirals Club. I had a preflight mimosa and I browsed the new IFE.

Reports you may have heard about the IFE being buggy were true. Don’t charge your iphone/ipad from the USB, it crashes it immediately. I managed to break the moving map and couldn't be bothered to ask for another reboot.

Once airborne my own noise isolating earphones were in, but I could hear the loud couple behind me asking the FAs to get their devices working on the internet. The FAs werent interested and it was getting more an more annoying especially with my lack of sleep. I got up and offered my assistance - more to get some peace! 45 minutes it took me to sort them out, afterwards the FAs all thought I was their hero and now said couple have offered us lodging next time we're in NYC!

I had changed last minute from the smoked salmon bagel to turkey bacon quiche for breakfast as I thought I'd want something hot. It was a good choice and very filling - I chose a bagel and cream cheese for the bread service anyway.

I tried to watch The Worlds End for the 4th time, but kept nodding off.

Donned my eyemask and napped for a couple of hours and awoke with an hour or so before we landed in SFO.

The scenery outside was fab. Warm cookies and milk were distributed which I very much enjoyed.

Upon landing our luggage came out first and we were straight on the BART to Union Square. The BART is a fast and efficient way to travel. We were booked in the Hilton Union Square, a huge soulless hotel. I had just booked a standard room, as Hilton Honors Gold we got upgraded and given continental breakfast vouchers - good for any large drink and breakfast item at the on location Starbucks.
Had another shower and headed out for our first look round San Francisco. We walked through Chinatown and onto North Beach ending up at Fisherman's Wharf. It was a lovely sunny day.

With the sun setting we walked back to the hotel via Hyde Street.

Next day we were up with the birds and we walked to Pier 39 to get morning tickets to Alcatraz. Weather reports said rain was coming in by noon so we wanted to be back on the mainland before then. The ticket office opens at 07:30 and we got 2 for the first sailing. We walked round to IHOP for breakfast. Just as I was tucking in I read on the ticket you need photo ID to go on the trip which of course was in the hotel.

What to do? It was now rush hour and had 40 mins to get on the sailing, should we just risk it? We decided it would be best to go back to the hotel and grab them so I managed to hail a cab, explained the situation and off he went! Have you watched Bullit? Just like that, but in a Prius. This cabbie drove like the wind, it felt like we got air a couple of times.

We made it back to the pier with a couple of mins to spare, gave the cabbie a good tip, and got on-board the boat to Alcatraz - NO ID ASKED FOR! From then on we kept our ID with us. Seems to be quite important in the US.

Alcatraz was an excellent visit, worth every penny I think. Free audio tour with lots of great information. Also comes with an excellent view of Downtown.

We really wanted to stay longer, but the impending rain without an umbrella meant we wanted to be able to get back to the hotel when we want rather than by a boat schedule. Once back on the mainland we walked to Fisherman's Wharf again. It's quite a tourist trap, but then I was a tourist!

Then the heavens opened. Rain and Thunder like I'd never experienced.

Couldn't get a cab for love nor money. Obviously everyone had the same idea. 20 mins later we saw someone getting out of one. Thank heavens! My wife is a big Disney fan so was very happy when I found the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. Not far from the Wharf, but the cabbie didnt have a clue how to get there or what it was. After showing him on the navigation on my phone we managed to get there.

Pic courtesy of the WDFM

I'm always sceptical of anything Disney due to the massive marketing machine the company has become, but this was fantastic. It was a real view of the man and the family behind the corporation. Afterwards, even though it was brighter outside a taxi was impossible to find from the Presidio - I called a couple of numbers and the dispatcher couldn't get the drivers to come out at I didn’t have a domestic cellphone number. Eventually we got one. Back to the hotel, went to the King Of Thai Noodle House round the corner which was lovely.

Coming later, on to LAX-LAS-LAX-LAS-LAX...

Last edited by courtster; Apr 15, 2014 at 9:21 am