FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does India allow domestic flights through other countries?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:31 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Recently I've noticed that when searching for domestic flights some of the flights are routed through other countries. E.g, searching for BOM-COK on kayak shows EK, GF, UL, and KU options going through their hubs.

Has anyone taken such a flight?
You mean does India have a ban against all cabotage without any practiced exemptions for some foreign carriers/countries? Not sure yet (although I do expect that there have been some given what I've seen with bilateral negotiations involving the Indian government and some regional countries), but I've certainly seen it in practice and do know that in at least some other transport matters India has previously granted some cabotage law relaxations.

I do know that in at least some prior years it was not uncommon for Indians to fly from Delhi to Calcutta via Nepal on Indian carriers as it was cheaper -- not an example of a carrier needing to exercise cabotage rights but definitely an example of a domestic carrier's domestic passengers transiting a foreign country.