FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:50 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by cloudybw
I have a ticket on UA next week I may not be able to take. What is the deadline to cancel through WF to get tax/fee refunded? T-24? T-0.5? T-\epsilon?

It looks like some thunderstorm might hit so the first leg might be delayed which might cause misconnect. If that happens, may I ask WF for full refund? What about asking UA to rebook to another date with original routing/booking class without repricing?
UA fare rules typically state "cancel by departure or forfeit the value." I don't know how being issued on WF stock affects that--WF cancellation/refund rules might apply instead. But assuming UA's does, then I think you can cancel up until the flight closes (generally T-10, but sometimes slightly earlier and of course occasionally later). Note there might be some technical issues preventing WF from processing a cancellation after you've checked in, so you might need to call UA and have them cancel your check-in before having WF cancel you off the flight and refund you.

Thunderstorm cancellations/rebookings are dependent on the terms of the weather waiver UA issues. Often (but not always) the weather waiver will allow you to rebook in the future with no change fee and no fare differential. You should be able to cancel for a full refund in most weather waivers, though. How WF will handle canceling/rebooking for a UA weather waiver is a question I don't know the answer to.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 13, 2014 at 2:59 pm