FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Comparing and understanding Vanilla cards
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:25 pm
ThatAdamGuy

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Comparing and understanding Vanilla cards

I'm sure this info is strewn about, but I thought it might be helpful for folks to have it combined in one place. I've been doing MS for a bit, but I still get confused with the different varieties of Vanilla!

Vanilla Reload (VR)
- Can't use them directly to buy things. You purchase these cards to add funds to a prepaid debit card, like the Amex Bluebird card. They typically cost ? and can purchased with an initial value up to $500.
- VR cards can be used to fund [debit cards to be listed here]
- Used to be able to buy them with a credit card at CVS, but due to a recent (Apr 2014) change in CVS policy, most if not all CVS stores will accept only cash to purchase VR.

My Vanilla Debit (MVD)
- This is a reloadable Visa card which you can use to purchase other things.
- NOTE: Some have had bad experiences with this card (funds withheld, accounts shut down)
- You can initially load it with a credit card at some locations, with a value up to ?.
- You can only reload it with a bank account or VR.
- Setting pin?
- Experience with money order purchases?

Vanilla Gift Cards (abbreviation?) (these are also branded as "One Vanilla" cards)
- These are disposable (non-reloadable) Visa cards that can be used to buy things, with an initial value set up to $500. They can be purchased with a credit card in at least some locations.
- Their PIN is set to be the first PIN you use with the card.
- You can use them pretty reliably to pay for money orders.

Any Vanilla cards I've missed?

Last edited by ThatAdamGuy; Apr 13, 2014 at 12:34 pm Reason: Additional info