FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - la casa que canta...questions (Zihuatanejo, Mexico)
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:45 am
Larkin

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by LM225
As the least thread that I could find on this hotel is nearly seven years old, I was wondering if there were any new insights/updates on the property.

We're booked into the Owner's Suite in a few weeks for our honeymoon, and have scheduled some dinners and spa treatments on site.

Any tips on restaurants/activities in the surrounding area? Are the restaurants at the Viceroy or Capella Ixtapa worth visiting?

Thanks!
Have been to Casa Que Canta many times over the years. It is a wonderful getaway for relaxation. The owners suite, suite 2, and the pool suites in the luna building are the best in the main hotel by far. You have a wonderful view from the owners suite. You will also have lots of privacy and they will serve you any meals, drinks, etc in your suite or best on your terrace. The room service is one of the highlights of the hotel. They do a great job. You can also make special requests for things not on the menu and they will go out if their way to accomodate you with some notice. You do have to walk up stairs to get there - no elevator - so if this is an issue it should be considered, however there are lots of stairs in the property in general. Rooms are not luxurious, but very nice with lots of mexican character. I love the place. If you need modern bathrooms I suggest you look at the suites in the two houses they own which can be sold individually if nobody is renting the entire villa. We actually prefer however the main property.

Service is very warm and friendly. They go out of their way to do a great job. However it is Mexico so sometimes small mistakes are made, but they try very hard to do a great job. It is a very casual and relaxed atmosphere and the food at La Casa is I think the best in Zihua. There are a number of good restaurants around town - some come and go each year, and chef changes happen so best to ask La Casa what they recommend. Amuleto has been very good off and on and has a lovely view at night, but ask as the chef changes.

Capella is quite a distance - about a 20 min taxi ride. The hotel is lovely - much more modern and up to date rooms, good restaurants, but personally I prefer to eat in Zihua which has much more character and I don't think the restaurant at Capella is so great to warrant the drive, when there are many choices in Zihua which is 2 min by taxi from the hotel, but it is a personal preference and it could be fun to go to Capella one night. Do not bother with Ixtapa. It is all big high rises and very average to below average restaurants. There are however some gorgeous large private villas between the town of Ixtapa and Capella. Rent a private boat one day to cruise the coastline going north from Zihua to see them from the water. La Casa will pack a nice picnic lunch and it can be a nice day.

We also preferred La Casa because of its warm, more authentic Mexican hospitality. Many if the employees have been there since it opened and there are many, many return guests.

The Viceroy is on La Ropa beach and you can walk from La Casa. La Casa is not right on the beach but very close. I think it is fun to have lunch at the viceroy because it is right on the beach and makes for a nice walk in mid day.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. If you love Mexico and warm, friendly hospitality you will enjoy La Casa. A tip is they will bring you all of your meals, drinks, etc to your room whenever you want. But if you are expecting the ultimate in luxury, you might be disappointed. We go to Zihua to relax, listen to the ocean, walk on the beach, enjoy the food, and read lots if books. For this it is perfect!