FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase retention bonus or fee waiver reports [Archive]
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:58 am
SPLP007

Originally Posted by riphamilton
are most people here talking to the retention department after threatening to cancel, or are you guys operating more along the lines of this?

AF just hit on my united explorer card; i'll probably be calling this weekend.

i figure i can go two routes: (1) be civil and explain how miles (and therefore the MP card) have been devalued in the past year and this justifies a commensurate devaluation in what i should pay as an annual fee, or (2) threaten to cancel.
If calling the retention dept ( I never speak to the the front line rep about retention ) reason you give matters very little if at all , the "computer" decides if your worth the investment --the rep "may" see more than one offer that u can try to get the best

I think no one knows what makes on get the the bonus and another not--when offered most of us get same offer

I have 11 chase cards and in last 12 months have got offers on all except Hyatt -some better than other --best sapphire and inks 10k each no spend worst --IHG 15K for $5k spend

not more than $7-8k on any one card and some just 1k to cover spend for bonus