FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:38 pm
rdover1

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
There is definite increase in focus due to KYC.

In general there is only a small relationship between the banking side and UR/CC. They are managed quite separately.

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Unscientific polling seems to indicate that the shutdown is initiated on the banking side. I can't seem to recall a shutdown of someone who did not have Chase banking relationship (of course someone will now post an example to prove me wrong...)

Whether it's the banking activities that triggers the review in the first place is a different matter. I know in my case, I was applying the good old advice of "don't sh*t where you eat", and was not depositing any MO's and/or CA's in nearly a year to my Chase account (and not that I had done much previously), but, it was nonetheless the bank accounts that were closed down first, and as a consequence the CC's followed about a week later.

Perhaps the 'trigger' is high UR balance... then they look into how you've earned those points, and if they don't like 'how', they'll then look for an excuse to to fire you as a customer, and, perhaps the banking side provides better ammunition to their cause?

Again, other than the observation that it seems it's those with Chase bank accounts that are getting shut down, this is all very much speculation here.
Originally Posted by bribro
I don't know for sure, but I suspect that many of these shutdowns are because of stricter KYC regulations on the banking side. JPMC and the other big banks are under increased pressure to make sure their clients are legit, and I know for a fact that the due dilligence process has gotten much more intense on the Private Banking/Private Wealth side.

These days, banks will literally cross-reference your name/SSN with databases from the SEC, OFAC, DOJ, FBI, etc. They'll even do Google searches on you. If something is off (pending felony criminal cases probably being among the worst red flags), that can be cause to drop you as a client. I'm not convinced this is some scheme to drop "unprofitable" credit card customers.

Many of you with JPMC banking accounts have probably received calls lately asking for additional information (income, net worth, etc.), which is also part of the "enhanced" KYC process. Not answering these questions could also be cause to drop you as a client.