FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Family Hawaii Trip!
View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:54 am
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
thanks

Just curious, what did you use to find a better rate than the $24.99?
I go to HNL every month or so (I have a place there that I spend a lot of time in) and always get a car. Although I am thinking of buying one this trip, been looking for a deal. .

My best rates always seem to come through Autoslash. I generally make a res on a rental company website using the Costco code plus a one day free or $$ off coupon code (I find the Costco code to be consistently the best in HNL, and this is after many hours of plugging in every code I can find, including some of the 'taboo' corp codes - for every rental - I have no life ). I have no particular loyalty to company as I belong to all the FR programs. Then I track it with AutoSlash and they invariably shave a ton off whatever I have found, and keep doing so right up to the day I arrive sometimes. My next trip on May 1, for example, I couldn't find lower than about $170 all in for a week, and i worked on it for hours. It is down now to $125 all in thanks to AutoSlash. Probably will go lower too, as it always seems to end up at right around $100 all in for a week. Priceline can't even do as well and I need the flexibility as I change dates a lot. And it is booked right through the rental company so it is miles/points earning (I always get credited, never have to retro claim) and you can enter your FR number as you get the rental companies confirmation code.

I have had some luck lately with discounthawaiicarrental.com but still, AutoSlash beat it after I tracked it with them. I generally can get it down to around $12-$15-ish per day, all inclusive. $24.99 per day base rate is way beyond my limit.

If you know all this, then sorry for the redundancy. Feel free to PM me, Horse, if you need any help or advice. Your posts have helped me more than a few times on here and I am happy to return the favor.