FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stranded at Mutianyu - how worried should I be?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:49 am
travelinmanS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
Thanks LOIDNOISES

The 916 Express bus isn't a means to an end, but (for us) a worthwhile and important part of our visit to Beijing. Consider it an "intangible cultural experience" from my perspective. The gongfu tea ceremony I've already been expertly introduced to, it's the "Beijing bus trip with locals" that cannot be replicated in any shape or form in London nor viewed on the internet. To do this whilst accompanied with a sociable child still at an age where language is no barrier really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The more I've thought about it, the more I've realised how much I'd regret giving it up.
If the public transport is such an important part of you avoiding a "lost in translation" experience in the city I'd recommend you just ride around Beijing on busses all afternoon and evening. You'll get a great feel for the city and it's locals and can probably see most of the interesting sites right from the bus window. There's a great ride down the Chang An street that goes right between the forbidden city and Tiananmen Square. Since the bus ride seems more important than actually getting a decent amount of time at the Great Wall, perhaps you can just skip the Wall entirely and bus it around the city. You can probably reach all the districts via bus in 8-10 hours. That's a trip most people definitely wouldn't be able to top! If you're really planning on making it from the airport to Mutianyu in 2:20 all via public transport that's very optimistic so why not just kick back on the public bus, relax and take a tour of Beijing all for 2 RMB!