FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stranded at Mutianyu - how worried should I be?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:54 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks LOIDNOISES

I've spent considerable time in a wheelchair in the past because of my back and we will have a lot of luggage with us. Absolutely safest option for me is to keep it at the airport along with the stroller. Appreciate the offer though ^

In summary:
Day 1
11:30am plane lands
Pass through customs, etc, decant luggage into large bags and stash bags at left luggage counter.
12:30 Buy Yikatong SMART CARD, board Airport Express (20 minutes)
Find bus bay (10 mins) , wait for bus (every 10-15 minutes)
13:10 Board 916 Express Bus at Dongzhemen (60-70 mins)
14:20 Bus arrives Huairou
14:25 take metered taxi (or a minivan that "feels" right) to Mutianyu
14:50 arrive at Mutianyu gate to Great Wall

That's the theory, the reality is that I'm actually expecting to arrive at Mutianyu by 3:30pm or so.

From the itinerary, it's the 11:30am to 12:30am part - clearing customs, stashing bags, buying SMART card - that I suspect will be inaccurate and take me longer rather than the public transport segments.

---
For the record:
Day 2
Morning in Beijing, meet Chinese friends who are arriving from nearby town and spend time sightseeing with them. R&R at the hotel pool with the children in the evening.
Strap very tired daughter onto back, return to airport, collect bags, depart at 01:30 (after midnight)
Visiting family stay in the hotel (booked using Priority Club points with Point Break offer)

---
I know this is an alien viewpoint for many, but it seems I need to make my point clear:
The 916 Express bus isn't a means to an end, but (for us) a worthwhile and important part of our visit to Beijing. Consider it an "intangible cultural experience" from my perspective. The gongfu tea ceremony I've already been expertly introduced to, it's the "Beijing bus trip with locals" that cannot be replicated in any shape or form in London nor viewed on the internet. To do this whilst accompanied with a sociable child still at an age where language is no barrier really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The more I've thought about it, the more I've realised how much I'd regret giving it up.

Last edited by LapLap; Apr 11, 2014 at 4:47 am