FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EWR first impressions
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:02 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by PaulaJK
The food service is off for a 16 hour flight. The rapidly served snack [they whisk away the tray without asking if you'd like cheese, dessert or coffee' is about 1 hour into the flight and breakfast 14 hours later. The 'available snacks' were soup with insufficiently cooked noodles and a dry sandwich of indeterminate content. The beds win here but SQ and Emirates surpass in service and cuisine.
I suppose CX can't please everyone. I personally love that approach to the flight (it's similar on CX845 ex-JFK at the same time)....get that first supper meal service done fast, and then maximize the time I can sleep. Breakfast is done ~2 hours before landing. I slept something like 10-11 hours EWR-HKG a month ago. Was perfect. After a week of crazy US meetings and little sleep, the last thing I wanted was some drawn out meal service that extended for hours after take-off and an elaborate breakfast that started half-way through the flight.

CX J "cuisine" certainly leaves something to be desired, but end of the day I still prefer CX J to SQ J primarily on account of the hard product and the fact I don't have to flip the bed over to use it.