FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to the city using Uber?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:03 am
baccarat_king

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Calusin
Please keep in mind The Netherlands is not a credit card country. If I remember correctly, you can only use your credit card (MasterCard and Visa) to purchase train tickets at Schiphol and Amsterdam Central Station.
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
thanks. ohhh not a credit card country eh? I might just Uber it the whole time...
Correct, and if you want to use the (train ticket) machines there is a 0.50€ surcharge for MasterCard/Visa and it must be Chip+PIN.

Uber is about 10€ (approximately) more expensive than a taxi from/to the airport. I only use them (but consistently) when I have a LOT of luggage. I always meet at the Sheraton (right outside the airport). If you use the doors that exit Schiphol by the car rental agencies it's basically a straight walk out to the Sheraton. As soon as I do the Uber request in baggage claim, I usually follow-up with a text, meet me at the Sheraton.

Some of the "regular" taxis take credit cards (even AMEX); but you have to ask.

You'll have no problems with credit cards in major restaurants and stores in Amsterdam; but overall, as stated, The Netherlands is not much of a credit card country. A few places are CHIP+PIN only; but that is also rare in tourist frequented spots, which will often also accept swipe credit cards.