FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A+ Elite Member - Worth giving Southwest a shot?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:03 pm
rsteinmetz70112

Originally Posted by EWR-6785
A couple of follow-up questions. I am A+ Elite, but have never flown WN and don't currently have a RR account.

1. How do I get a RR account with a status match to my A+ Elite account?
Open an RR account on Southwest.com and Call Airtran ELite line and give them the number.

2. If I book a flight on Airtran metal on Southwest.com with the status matched RR account, does that provide stand-by upgrades like A+ Elite?
Are you talking about upgrade to Biz? Or Standby Travel?

Biz upgrades are hit and miss. sometimes you can get a Biz upgrade sometime not.

Same Day Standby is not usually available on Southwest tickets unless you upgrade to a Business Select or an Anytime fate. If the flight is running late they will sometimes let you go on an earlier flight.

Is there a way to use A+ credits to upgrade an Airtan flight purchased on southwest.com?
Not as far as anyone knows.

3. I realize that flights purchased on WN get free bags and no change fee, while FL has a more liberal day of travel standby policy without regarding fare recalculation. Other than that, is there any reason to choose booking on FL vs WN?
Easier qualification for Elite status, Better Cancellation policy and easier Elite upgrades at the gate are about it.

I had been booking on FL to requalify as Elite, but thinking of migrating to WN since requalifying as Elite is now moot.
Someone recently re-qualified for Elite and reported they were told that they would be RR A-List for 2015, once the programs merged. It is easier to qualify as Elite that to get A-List

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Apr 8, 2014 at 2:17 pm