FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More room type choices with Reward Nights?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:21 am
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I've done it a few times by doing what Dave Noble suggested. Just call the hotel in question and ask to speak to the General Manager.

Had one IC on mixed paid/award that for RAs, on paid nights, upgrades to suite+club, and for award nights instead gives you originally booked room BUT with club lounge. They then try room upgrade upsell to you.

The IC got that offer correct for me, as if award was room upgrade, no club, i would not have paid for upsell club, unlike upsell to a suite.

In fact I almost cancelled award (in hindsight I should have) to rebook at checkin as paid basic room, as offered upsell/night was 60% of cost of paid night so in effect I wasted my points by in effect paying points + $'s making my points to $'s saved ratio really crap.

SO ... As RA, I would maybe say, using points + paid upsell is not worth it as changes redemption points/$ ratio to too poor a value, unless high starting basic room point like London-PL, Paris-LG or Amsterdam-Amstel when basic room is us$600 upwards unlike Asia or USA minor cities where entry level IC room is in area of $100.