FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone flown to ULN? What route did you take?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:11 pm
Quikarmani

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
Miat has significantly better on time performance on that route so I would choose them over CA if the prices are comparable.

Of course, it is a very good route to use *A miles on. Meanwhile ST miles can get you there from ICN. And, if you happen to collect DL miles, you can presumably get there for a pittance from BKK or SIN because DL thinks Mongolia is in "South" Asia.
I've been traveling to ULN (Ulaanbaatar, which is the correct way of spelling it) since 2009, mostly the slow and cheap way (by bus and train) from PEK. It's true that Miat is significantly better on time performance than CA, but recently (last few months to half a year) the prices of Miat have been much higher than CA.

400 pounds is roughly $600 usd right? Usually RT from PEK is about that price, while RT from ULN is lower, I bought for $400 USD twice in the last half year.

Sadly you can't get to Mongolia on OW flights. Only *A on CA and KE on ST as people above said. So if you are looking at booking rewards ticket with OW, your best bet in still to fly to PEK and then buy a RT cash.

Hope this helps.