FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sticker shock for USA domestic travel this spring
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:44 pm
Cloudship

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yup, that's the problem. Airfare has been an incredible bargain. It doesn't look like it's going to be such a bargain any more. Remember when gas was less than a buck a gallon (late '90s). It was practically free. Folks were doing "crazy" things like buying gas-guzzling Hummers. Now that gas is $3.50, there are no more Hummers. We actually care about the gas mileage when we buy a car. Same thing is now happening with airfare. Not every leisure trip you'd like to take will be "worth it." It sucks. Take steps to adjust. I got myself 2 WN credit cards for the companion ticket, and stocked up on Avios points. Not perfect solutions, but good options to preserve as much of the "lifestyle" that I can.
Actually, what I think is happening is that people are slowly realizing it really isn't so much of a bargain. There are a lot of comparisons out there, but they usually compare a jumbo jet flying a long distance, and compare that to a cost of an average car. What they fail to factor in is how many people that car can hold, what an equivalent car experience would be to that jet (hint: by comparison you should be using something like a Honda Fit, NOT a Ford Explorer), the costs of getting to and from the airport, and how much you are going to spend on luggage. With a country as large as ours, of course time becomes a huge factor. In other parts of the world Rail travel has taken up that slack. In the US we don't have that option, so there is still a push for "middle service" air travel - i.e. not Ryan Air, but also not Singapore First Class.

This could be real bad - tourism plays a huge part in our economy. Business will also suffer - as prices go up businesses look at their bottom line. Sure some will splurge on their CEO or someone else they can bill, but your average tech or few times a year convention traffic, that ill get cut back. Maybe that is a good thing, though - bring back a local level of tourism, the old car and motel thing, locally oriented businesses, and regionally focused conferences.