FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing Airtran Flight to SW Flight at Airport
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:29 pm
rsteinmetz70112

Originally Posted by mikefree5252
I have an 11am flight with Airtran next week and see that there is a Southwest flight that leaves at 9am going to the same destination.

If there are seats available, will the SW attendants be willing/able to put me on the SW flight since the two are now merged?

Thanks!
It depends on a few factors,

Where did you buy the ticket Airtran.com or Southwest.com?

What is the fare class? Some tickets are fully changeable and refundable.

Is the Southwest Flight listed on Airtran.com?

If you booked on Airtran.com Airtran generally allows same day standby and will allow same day changes for $50 (I think thats right but check they keep raising the fee).

However not all Southwest Flights are available on Airtran.com, generally the only flights listed on Airtran.com include an Airtran Segment. All Southwest and Airtran domestic flights are listed on Southwest.com.

Flights booked on Southwest.com at their WGA (Wanna Get Away) fares do not allow standby. You must first upgrade to a AT (Any Time) or BS (Business Select) ticket, then you can change your flight to any available flight. Exception are usually made if your flight is late by a significant but flexible amount.

All of that said there are enough anomalies in the Airtran Southwest relationship that you might get someone at the airport to allow it, especially if you have status on either airline.