FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:40 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thepaul500
Except those "Citi-wide" rules do not apply to the exec. Its ymmv obviously, but there are no hard 8/65 rules for the exec. I'm sure there is some limit, but no one has been brave enough to test yet...
Originally Posted by healthnut
Can you give me an example of where it does not apply with the Exec?

(Not a challenge, sincerely serious! I'm at day 58... )
Originally Posted by thepaul500
Several examples in the exec thread, including mine.

Day 1: Personal
Day 9: Biz
Day 54: Exec

VERY YMMV, could waste a hard pull. I figured I was getting trolled in that thread but went for it anyways...
That example doesn't prove that it's the Exec.

First of all, please understand why it's a 65 day "rule". The actual Citi language is 60 days, but they are notorious for counting days wrong, so 65 is a number with a fudge factor added which historically has counteracted all Citi wrong counting of 60. Maybe they simply counted days wrong in the direction favorable to you on this occasion?

Second, how do you know it's not the Biz that's on a separate clock? So many things are separate about the Biz, that even though Biz has a 65 day clock, and personal has a 65 day clock, they might be separate clocks. (Because except with the Exec youi can't churn personal that fast, we don't have enough data points, I don't think, to determine for sure whether they are separate clocks or one combined clock.)

And if you don't know what your data point proves, it can be dangerous for the next person to assume what it proves, when it might be proving something else.

Since the 65 day clock was determined during an era where most people were just churning personal cards only, and it was reaffirmed in the new era when people are mostly churning business cards only, we have not had an era with enough churning of both back and forth by enough people who "pushed" the timing to know whether the clocks are separate or one united clock.

But since the 65 day clock has been a clock that applied to all personal cards before, and was always assessed before at a level that doesn't know what kind of card you're applying for, I find it much less likely that it's the Exec card that violates the 65 day clock than that either it's the biz card or just that 65 and 54 are equally likely miscounts of 60.

(The 8 part is relatively new, because as recently as a year ago, you could still apply for two cards "at once", and thus most people simply applied for 2 every 65 days. It was only once 2-at-once was "outlawed" that the 8 part was developed. But the limit on 2 card applications every "60" (65 to be safe) days has been a Citi rule for over a decade.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 1, 2014 at 12:46 pm