FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Photo ID craze: We need reciprocity!
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:34 pm
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by timfountain
Provider - Citi Card, AA Platinum, 1-888-766-2428. I called them, entered my card # and some other details and when I got through to a rep I said I was standing in front of a clerk and the manager at a store and they were refusing to complete a transaction without seeing my ID. I was passed to another person in about 10 seconds and they asked for the address, phone # and managers name (which I asked the manager for and relayed to the person at Citi, not really all that difficult is it?). They called in less than 20 seconds later, asked for the manager by name and identified themselves and asked for confirmation of their merchant number, hence determining they were talking to the right establishment. They also offered to have the manager call them back if he was in any doubt as to whom he was talking to.

They conferenced me in on the call so I could clearly hear what was going on. The front-line person passed me onto a specific person, who knew exactly how to handle the situation. I don't recall if they identified their department or not. I wish I recorded and notarized the interaction and then uploaded to Youtube, then perhaps you would believe me, apologies in advance....

Paranoia or not, I like to stand on principle, which includes not showing my papers to any random person who has no right or need to see them. Nothing to do with SSN.
^

I always refuse to show ID when demanded by cashiers if I'm paying with a credit card. Nice to see them lay the smackdown.