FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does BA's treatment of its frequent flyers imply an abuse of market power?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:53 pm
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BasilBush
And Globaliser, although I was indeed prompted to write this by today's events it is an issue I've mused over for a while, namely why the BA EC has a number of negative features that are not observed elsewhere (eg high YQ charges). I'm sure others will point to positive features of the EC, but I just wanted to fly a kite and see whether anyone else has thought along these lines.
For reasons which have already been given by others, I don't think that BAEC is anywhere within a million miles of any proper complaint about this.

However, BA's size in the UK market does sometimes lead to questions of market dominance and possible abuse in other respects. But you see healthy interest taken by the relevant authorities in the areas in which this matters. For example, take the conditions that were imposed for the approval of the AA/BA JBA, and the conditions for the takeover of BD.

So I don't think that, in the abstract, your question was entirely off the wall. However, BAEC and its various practices and quirks aren't something that will attract any interest at all. There are plenty of other FF schemes that you can use if you prefer, even within oneworld.