FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Review of Canadian Amex Plat
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:17 pm
tonym6969

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

I received my Canadian Amex Plat card a month ago and would like share the experience with others. I signed up since it came with 50,000 points and $200 travel credit which essentially covers the $699 fee which makes the card free for a year. Ive had an RBC Avion Infinite Visa for about 5 years which I receive for free due to a multiple product discount but it normally costs $120/yr.

After receiving the card I decided to take a trip to Vegas using Amex Plat on a very busy weekend.

I tried to book Bellagio but they quoted $350/ night while I got it for $200 / night on the Mlife website. I noticed they had Hooters Hotel listed on the Amex Plat travel booking page for $180 / night. Are you kidding me? Why is this flea bag motel even on he Plat travel site? The so called Fine hotels program hotels where all listed for higher then the hotel websites. Conclusion is that the hotel program is limited to getting Gold and Platinum status at 3 different hotel chains which frequent travelers get in any case.

Then came lounge access. For all practical purposes this "benefit" is useless in North America since you cannot access United, American, US Airways, or Air Canada lounges. You are limited to third party lounges that are far and few between. In the past I've bought lounge access in other countries for example Jamaica for reasonable $30/pp rates which included great food and drinks something not usually associated with independent NA lounges. Conclusion is that the lounge benefit is only useful if you do international travel or use Pearson in Toronto often.

Next came the airline benefits which are again completely useless in North America. There is some vague verbage of possible upgrades and free companion flights if you book the most expensive tickets. I do have an international trip to Dubai planned this year and will try to use the benefit.

I then looked at booking a rental car using Hertz or Avis. I already have Gold and Preferred service though the CAA membership. Hertz was insanely overpriced as usual so settled with a Mustang GT from Avis at $70/day using my Mlife discount code. Conclusion is that the rental car program provides zero benefit over over discounts obtained on the net.

Next came restaurants. Amex could not get us seats at any popular restaurant. The ones they did offer was obtained using the hotel concierge instead since I figured having the Bellagio concierge booking it seems to have a bigger impact then some credit card company. Conclusion is that this benefit is very much limited since I receive the concierge benefit from my budget RBC Infinite Visa as well and the hotel you are staying at can usually get you a good restaurant.

Next is travel insurance. I am an avid scuba diver so traveling must always include insurance for travel health. My $120 RBC Infinite card has virtually the exact same insurance as the Plat card including the scuba diving heatlh care. My Sun Life company medical benefits also covers scuba diving.

Next is spending limits. My RBC Infinite card has a $20k limit and I can go over the limit when required even though I've never had to spend more than $20k/month. Amex Plat card supposedly has no limit but they do in fact limit you based on credit score and past spending habits. Conclusion is that there is no benefit in this for me.

The front of the line benefit is available for all Amex cards and I've used my free Blue card for this in the past so again no real benefit. Maybe the concierge can get better seats compared to from of the line alone I'm not sure and will give it a try next time.

Prestige of having the card is a myth and you are treated exactly the same. Maybe if you go to some 3rd world country they will think it means you have money but I doubt it.

The points are no better then what I get with my RBC Visa. So no real benefit.

My final conclusion is that paying $699 per year for this Amex Plat card is a waste of money unless they come up with some additional benefits. I will cancel when this year is over since I get everything I need from my cheap RBC Infinite card for $120/year which I get for free with a multiple product discount. Why anybody would keep this card past the first year baffles me.