FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:28 pm
othermike27

Originally Posted by tmiw
I have seen concerns though that chip and PIN is the first step towards zero liability going away. "You used your PIN, so obviously it was you who made the charge" type of thing. Wouldn't matter what the law said then.
I have seen those concerns expressed as speculation on FT and elsewhere online, but I haven't seen anyone in the credit card industry suggesting that is the direction they intend to go. Merchants, yes, but not the card users.

Even if zero liability were threatened, it seems unlikely to happen until Chip and PIN is the established standard. Let's see: (1) card issuers can't yet agree on whether Chip and PIN will be the standard; (2) most merchants and the rest of the processing chain have until late 2015 to implement EMV in whatever form, and; (3) gas stations have until late 2017 to finish their implementation. I'd say that gives us at least 3.5 years of zero-liability, unless something else happens to really shake up the world of credit card payments. I don't know about you all, but I'm going to find something else to worry about for the near term.