FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling on two passports
View Single Post
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:35 am
silvergirl

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If you're talking about Singapore I would prefer PR over changing IC (hint: no NS and access to CPF money once I'm finished my work term. I do have to mind tax rules back home, though at least for the UK the rules for residence are more clear than in other nations. I also love the tax credit for the CPF contribution as I essectially get a portion of my income tax free so long as I save it, plus it bears interest at a competitive rate goven the security of the CPF.)
Even people from less developed nations (i.e. Malaysia, Philippines) feel the same way (from those I have talked to.)
Even if you do decide to switch it is much easier to resume UK citizenship (as you would have renounced to become a citizen of a Commonwealth country.)
As for friends-I have met people who have work passes/PR that are from Germany, UK, USA, Canada, France, Australia, so I am still 'reminded' of home and we share our experiences as such, though it can't really be replaced.
No my other nationality is not Singaporean, I just work here on EP. I am swiss (born) and british (naturalised). I am planning to apply for PR later this year (agree with you re CPF benefits) but I would never go for citizenship (which would mean give up my others). There really would be no reason or benefit to do so and I am not planning on staying here forever. NS not an issue for me as am female and no kids. You do realise PR also 'qualifies' for NS if male and young enough?