FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA gate agent sold my First seat (P) for an upgrade
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:14 am
FWAAA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wallyflyer
Hello - I am currently navigating a situation that I have no idea how to handle, having even been an experienced flyer (not elite on anything currently).
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If it had happened to me, I would have calmly stood at the gate and quietly requested that the gate agent locate a seat in First Class for me. In fact, it has happened to me a few times over the years and without fail, the agents manage to find a seat for me in my assigned cabin. Of course, elite status probably helped immensely each time.

Most every time it's been because of a delayed connecting AA or Eagle connecting flight. I'm well-acquainted with the ORD penalty box.

As a non-status passenger, the reality is that you get pushed around a lot more and you won't be treated well by any of the legacy airlines. When the rules require you to be at the gate ready to board at least 15 minutes in advance, and you aren't there, even because of their failure, then they'll give away your seat.