FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delayed flight leaves earlier than scheduled departure time!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:12 am
ShotgunKid

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Seems to me, if you post a new departure time, that is the time the plane should leave. If you think you're going to scrounge up another plane (and this plane didn't miraculously appear from nowhere on the tarmac) then you leave the original time posted and tell pax that you'll probably be late but you're working on it.

Otherwise, posting the later time does no one any good, not the departing pax, not those who may be meeting them.

I flew out of ZRH this fall and a 4hr 30m delay was posted. Plenty of time to first call and change my connection while seats were still available and then spend a few hours walking around town. Left me feeling much better about sitting in Y on a TATL than if I'd been hunkered down in some airport lounge for that whole time.

I know it's not going to happen, but I would wish that if someone were stranded due to early departure that the carrier would be responsible for food / lodging until a seat was available.

This is exactly the point. I have had tight check-ins before with my bags and been told that it may not make it on the plane. In this case, there was absolutely no discussion of that - because the plane was going to leave 2.5 hours after the scheduled time.

Is the communication that bad? It makes me wonder what else is not coordinated or communicated. I am already a flyer that doesn't like to fly due to fear of flying, but I have to. It makes me worried about safety as well.