FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delayed flight leaves earlier than scheduled departure time!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:44 am
ShotgunKid

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by controller1
Not sure how experienced a flyer your wife is, but delayed departures are very fluid situations which is why one is supposed to do luggage check and be at the gate as if the original departure time was still valid.

For SFO that is 45 minutes prior to departure for luggage check and 15 minutes prior to departure for appearing at gate.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

If your wife had followed those times, she would have made her early departure flight.
Not all that experienced. Understanding your point, but even the agent during baggage check-in was indicating that the flight was going to leave even later. She was actually going to the United Club to wait, but since the flight was leaving from another terminal, she elected to go to the gate directly. Within the span of 20 minutes, the flight took off.

When I travel and the flight is delayed, I usually stay at the United Club. Am I supposed to hang out at the gate from printed boarding time on when sometimes flights are delayed for more than an hour?

I don't know how aircraft get swapped, but my assumption is that another plane was found to replace this "late inbound aircraft" and the 1037PM aircraft was used to replace that plane. Why? The 1037PM flight was cancelled "due to weather" at 745PM.