FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fairmont The Palm, Dubai
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:07 pm
FFMilesJunkie

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jamesclandestine
I am going to dubai for 10 days on vacation in july (yesss july ). Via AMEX i got an okay rate at the fairmont the palm, but the hilton jumeirah is appr. half of the price. The fairmont is newer and on the stem of the palm. It rates better on tripadvisor. The hilton is way cheaper and i am HH Gold. Any considerations?
When I look at the pics, the Hilton seems to show age. Also the pool and beach area looks less nice. The fact that hilton residence occupants can use the private beach seems like a danger for overcrowding..
I am tending towards the fairmont for the "beach part" of the vacation, yet the huge price difference makes me uneasy. Anyone stayed at both locations to give an oppinion? Anyone stayed at either / or the recent weeks - noticed any construction site/outages etc?

Thanks!
We were at the Palm Valentine's Day weekend. The beach and pool area at the Fairmont are far superior to the Hilton. The Hilton is on a busy stretch of beaches that will be shared with other hotels and locals. The Fairmont is very private and there are 3 different pools to choose from including an adults only pool with a poolside bar. The Fairmont rooms should be much nicer also. They still feel new. There is some construction near the Fairmont, but this is Dubai…there's still contraction everywhere!! It really wasn't bothersome at all. The upside to the Fairmont is also the downside. It's a little isolated, so while that's good for a less crowded beach, you have to hop in a taxi (fairly cheap) if you want some variety to your nightlife. The Hilton is right in the middle of the action on Jumeirah Beach. You can walk to many restaurants and other hotel bars right from the hotel.

I would jump at another stay at the Fairmont The Palm. We loved it. Used our Suite upgrade and got a very nice suite on the 10th floor overlooking the beach. The restaurants and bars are a little pricey, but not out of line from other high end hotels. The Friday Brunch was great. Spent over 2 hours just enjoying the views and trying different dishes.