FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Easy Jet Itinerary Change -- what are my options?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:54 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Looks like EasyJet will only offer me a full refund OR no change fee on an alternate booking. Ridiculous -- since the alternative flights I could have booked a month ago would have been half the price they are today.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them -- transferred to three different "Managers". The most they would offer me is a voucher for free luggage on another EasyJet flight. At the end of the call, I was offered the option of sending a written letter to their UK offices. HAHAHAAHH I will get my inkwell and feather out to draft a letter -- "Dearest EasyJet, it was a fortnight hence that I made a booking ..."

I found the CEO's email address and sent her an email. The response was a stock reply (from the "Executive Response" team) indicating that they complied with the UK regulation on flight changes and that they could do no more for me than to give me a refund/credit or change the day of the flight for 'free'.

Useless airline - what's the point of making a **RESERVATION** if they can't keep their part of the bargain. I totally understand that stuff happens and they have to make a change -- but why should their customers be left worse off? Any other carrier that I've been on that has made this type of change has provided some kind of compensation for the change.

Buyers beware.
All carriers have schedule changes. Some, more frequent and more significant than others. That is all covered in the contract to which you agreed and which defines the term "reservation".

Because you were notified more than 14 days prior to the scheduled flight, you are entitled under EC 241/2004to, at your choice: 1) a refund; 2) rebooking/rerouting under "similar conditions"; and 3) if necessary, duty of care (hotel + food). You are not entitled to any fixed cash compensation or anything to make up for the extra cost you will incur if you book on your own.

The key issue here is the meaning of "similar conditions" and whether a 9-hour change (presumably meaning that you take the next flight) meets "similar conditions".

Your options at this point are:

1. Take the next flight and whatever comes with it.

OR
2. Specifically ask to be rebooked on whatever it is that you are seeking. Be specific. You will be denied, but need to have asked.
2. Take the refund and rebook as you choose. After your journey is complete, file a complaint seeking compensation for what you lost, noting that the rebook offered was not under "similar conditions".

Understand that you will have to fight this and that EasyJet will fight back. Hard. You may or may not win. And, you have to be prepared to lose and be out-of-pocket the difference between your new ticket and the refund on the old one.

Keep your demand short and to the point. You cannot (fruitfully) complain about changes in schedule and the responsiveness of the carrier is not at issue (emails to the CEO of large companies are invariably responded to by the same agents who handle ordinary matters, but use monikers such as "executive team" and the like).