FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Way to Book Excursions in Cape Town / Travel Agent Recommendation
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:38 am
maverick17

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Thanks for both of your insights.
Maverick - the issues you identify (re: diving that actually wasn't) are part of the reason why I want to find a reputable agent to assist with some of these bookings. In many places I can be a good gauge for what is and is not reputable - but I would not be a good judge of that in CPT and I would not always know the questions to ask (i.e., "does the cage diving include cage diving?" is not a question I would think to ask).
My long post was possibly a bit of rambling. Sorry about that.

To clarify for you or future readers, I did not mean to suggest that my crew was not legit. They are featured on several of the shark week videos with air jaws and so forth. In Simon's Town from what I learned chatting up my captain there are two operations that were partners in the 90's when it all started there, then they split into their own boats but remain friendly. Also there is a newer boat operation, for a total of 3 in Simon's Town. They all seem to be legit, it was just info that was not as readily available on the web from what I found that the "off day" would be not even getting in the water. No matter who you book with, if you go to Simon's Town you would likely end up with one of those two more experienced crews, or maybe less likely the new outfit.

So what I was trying to get at is communicate often with several operators before booking to see what the conditions are like normally that time of year, then when it is closer I'd pick a day early in your trip so if it is a bad day, you can use the voucher a few days later or something.