FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:53 am
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by zyxlsy
The restaurants I can remember using USD card without DCC problems are:

Outback in Causeway Bay
Jade Garden in Kim Sham Tsui
... (cant remember all, there are about 50)?
Sweetheat Restaurant doesn't. Well they're noticeably downmarket from Jade Garden and Outback...they don't take AE whilst Jade Garden/Outback would.

The POS machines in HK usually have a remote keypad with card reader at the top, right? There are two buttons right below the screen, and when using oversea cards, one button is for HKD, the other for home currency, right? When prompting the selections, the screen also shows the rate, right?
Yes.
But like Dongguan Golf Club (which also has that), a return to base is needed and a carbon slip is printed (without stopping for currency selection).

Some of the machines I can remember do print one slip first, and then you choose the currency, and the machine prints out another, currency confirmation page.
Seen that in Thailand, Taiwan
But not in HK - "PLS SELECT AMOUNT TO PAY HKD AMOUNT [USD/AUD] AMOUNT" on carbon paper is the one I've seen in HK with visitors.

If something shows like "汇率查询", that looks so much like Mainland China's DCC system, where you need to hit cancel... Maybe some merchants are using Mainland China POS machines illegally in HK to save swipe fees?
moondog's one didn't.
But then again I suspect they imported the 查询-less Guangdong version firmware.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 21, 2014 at 2:00 am