FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi card credit line reallocation / reduction [Consolidated]
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:08 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjakobv84
I also called Citi earlier this week trying to move CL from an AA Mastercard to a Hilton Visa card and no luck. Was asked if I wanted to request a credit limit increase (= hard pull) and I declined. Stuck living with the low limit on the card making MS'ing more annoying.
Why in the world are you MSing an existing Hilton Visa card, when as often as every 35 days you can apply for a new one (without even having to cancel the previous one) and get 50k each time for $1000 of spend! See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...nors-visa.html

(Start with the Wikipost at the top of the thread -- click on the "+" at the right if it's not expanded automatically -- then read the last few, ie most recent, pages of that thread.)

If the offer you apply for is $1000 spend required, that's 50 HH points per dollar spent. How much MSing on your existing card do you have to do to get 50000 HH points? Is it even practical to do in 35 days (which $1000 surely is)?

And, btw, it's when you apply for a new CIti card that Citi is most likely to let you move credit around (from an existing card to that new card).

Please note: 35 days is the average theoretical maximum, and assumes you are not applying for much else in the way of credit cards, since Citi limts most people to about 6 inquires in the last 6 months (on the bureau they pull), so if you do a Citi card every 35 days it's risky to apply for other stuff too. But if you slow it down a bit, say every 2 to 3 months, then you can apply for several other cards each year no problem.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 20, 2014 at 8:14 pm